Outfit Yourself

4 Aug

Do you know the saying “90 percent of life is just showing up”? When it comes to working out, I believe it’s not only about showing up, but also about showing up wearing the proper workout attire!

So much of feeling good about yourself during a workout is attributed to what you’re wearing. Over the years my mom, who is a work out fiend, has taught me the importance of owning good quality workout gear. This doesn’t mean you have to spend a fortune outfitting yourself in the trendiest workout clothes. I buy my sleeveless dry fit shirts at Marshalls and TJ Maxx. Typically, I find brands like Under Armour, Nike and Adidas, at a fraction of the original price!

Shoes that fit well are extremely important too. I’m currently sporting Mizunos, which have turned out to be wonderful. Given the wear and tear of shoes after working out six days a week, I typically have to get new shoes every six months. I go to a running speciality store, where they spend time evaluating your running and walking styles and then fit you into a shoe. I highly recommend going to your local running store to get fitted too!

My favorite accessory during my workouts is my Polar F6 heart rate monitor.

This device continuously tracks your heart rate during a given workout, based on your height and weight. As a result of your overall heart rate during a workout, it provides you with the calories you burned. This has helped me so much in my fitness endeavors. Over time, I’ve learned what my maximum and average heart rates are in a specific workout. The heart rate monitor is a great measure of the intensity of my workouts, I find that I want to push myself more to reach a higher heart rate.

Let’s go back to the quote…if 90 percent of life is just showing up, what does the other 10 percent consist of? I think it’s about having the right mindset, focus and drive. The next time you go to the gym, make sure you bring that 10 percent. You’ll definitely have a better workout and you’ll feel wonderful afterwards.

Advertisements

8 Responses to “Outfit Yourself”

  1. Candy August 4, 2010 at 2:35 am #

    I am so glad that you listen to your mother. Doesn’t mother always know best???
    xoxo

  2. Jessica Camp August 3, 2010 at 10:42 pm #

    I love your blog! By the way, my husband started running a few months ago and went to the ‘running store’to get his specialty shoes. He is on his feet so much that good shoes are really important, especially for a new runner. He loves them! They weren’t cheap, but they have made him excited about working out! So his 10% comes from his shoes. 🙂

  3. Rista August 4, 2010 at 12:08 am #

    Great post!

    I agree 100% that shoes really make a difference. I bought a pair of Brooks shoes at a specialty running store and definitely notice the difference.

    I also find that a pair of proper fitting bottoms is important too. My favorite right now are a pair of Under Armor leggings. They are so soft and fit great!

    Also, for me, good work out music can really get me in the zone and motivated.

  4. Leah August 4, 2010 at 10:04 am #

    good shoes is a MUST. i used to buy shoes simply by how they look, but i can’t do that anymore. i have terrible feet – so i go to foot solutions and caravel here in austin (i’m probably the youngest by 30 years…) to get fitted. i just switched from brooks to new balance. my brooks were great – but way too heavy at first. i also felt like an old lady wearing them, because they weren’t “cute.” however, i quickly got over it once i realized what a difference they make!

  5. Sandy August 4, 2010 at 1:01 pm #

    I listen to YOUR mother as well! Great blog, Rach. Shoes are so important. The HR monitor is next on my list. The 10% is borrowing your youth to pull off my 90%!!!

  6. Hillary August 5, 2010 at 8:38 am #

    I regularly admit that I am allergic to exercising! However, any excuse to buy new shoes or cloths gets me up an about. I find I am more likely to go out for a walk sporting a cute outfit, maybe I’ll gradually progress to a jog.

  7. liz August 5, 2010 at 10:52 am #

    totally agree re: the right clothes. if i feel uncute / have ill-fitting clothes on, i have a bad workout. haha, vain, maybe, but why do they have so many mirrors in the gym then?!

  8. Shannon January 7, 2011 at 9:57 am #

    Well, I realize my reply is rather tardy, but, I find that a nice, supportive bra is crucial…I really like the Victoria Secret sports bras. They have an underwire and really hold the girls in.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: